Update on DFL Convention Schedule and the Coronavirus

Minnesota State Capital

UPDATED on March 18th

The DFL State Executive Committee made the difficult decision to move all upcoming endorsing conventions to an online process. This includes the convention for House District 66A that was planned for Saturday, April 11th.

All conventions (SD’s, OU’s and other endorsing conventions) will now be conducted through an online balloting system to complete the essential party business of electing delegates, conferring endorsements, and passing resolutions. Contested endorsements will be decided by rank choice vote.

The current plan is for Balloting to occur over a 10 day period: Saturday, April 25th – Monday, May 4th.

The online balloting system will be administered by the Minnesota DFL party staff who will be responsible for reporting results back to the local unit.

Local units will be responsible for collecting a roster of delegates and certifying the content of the ballot. The ballot, certified by a vote of the local unit executive committee, as well as the official delegate roster, must be reported to the Minnesota DFL through a provided form no later than Friday, April 17 at 5 PM CST.

Electronic Ballots will be emailed out by the Minnesota DFL directly to delegates who have not requested a mail ballot.  Delegates will be provided a unique password to access their ballot.

Cari’s campaign will continue to update delegates, volunteers, and community members as the situation evolves. You can read the entire DFL Statement on Coronavirus, which also includes numerous additional changes to the Call.

They have also asked that campaigns limit face-to-face contact with our constituents. The safety of our community is our highest priority and so we are canceling all of our upcoming in-person events as well.

Cari’s statement on the Coronavirus and Convention schedule

We all have to do our part to keep our most vulnerable communities safe during this pandemic. While it may feel inconvenient or unnecessary, it’s important to slow the spread of coronavirus as much as we can.

It also shines an intense light on important issues like paid sick and safe leave policies, healthcare access, and the role of climate change in pandemics. Some of our biggest achievements have been born from innovation during challenging times. We are standing on the precipice of the next great societal leap forward.

Staying involved in our democratic process is vital during this time and I am committed to staying connected with constituents and delegates throughout the coming weeks. I will work with my team to develop innovative strategies for connection.

I am available to chat via phone or video conferencing, click here to schedule.

Cari Ness for Minnesota House

Cari Ness is a new voice in Minnesota politics ready to fight for what’s right for Minnesota.

As a candidate she is focused on the climate crisis, gender equality, and ending gun violence.

Cari is running for the Minnesota House in District 66A.

Let’s Connect

Media Contact Info

Upcoming Events

Comments Box SVG iconsUsed for the like, share, comment, and reaction icons

No upcoming events

Load more

Carpenters Union Endorse Cari Ness for MN House

Carpenters Union Endorse Cari Ness for MN House

The North Central States Regional Council of Carpenters is pleased to announce its support of Cari Ness for MN House.  “The Carpenters are proud to back Cari Ness for the Minnesota House. Cari grew up in a union household and...

Cari Ness Announces Run for Minnesota Legislature

Cari Ness Announces Run for Minnesota Legislature

Hi Neighbors!  Today I am announcing my campaign for the DFL endorsement for Minnesota State Representative of District 66A, which includes parts of St. Anthony Park and Como Park in Saint Paul, parts of Roseville, and all of...

Updates from Cari's Campaign

Comments Box SVG iconsUsed for the like, share, comment, and reaction icons
1 month ago
Vote Cari Ness

Dear Friends and Neighbors,

It's that time of year when campaigns are starting to gear up all across the state, and lots of folks have been calling, texting, and asking if I will run again in 2022.

I ran in 2020 because climate change is the single biggest existential threat to our state and the pandemic is but one symptom. The last 18 months have laid bare brutal inequities in our society between the rich and poor - from low wages, inaccessible child care, and a severely overburdened health and mental healthcare system, to rent instability and the stark injustice in our school systems - made more obvious and drastic through a year of virtual learning (or virtually no learning).

We are not doing enough.

At the same time, our district lines must be re-drawn to ensure fair representation in the state legislature. Due to the unprecedented delays in the census, however, redistricting has also been delayed and we may not know where the lines will fall until late March 2022.

That said, if the lines fall where we hope, I will be looking to you for support as I would be honored to represent you and our unique district in the Minnesota House in 2022.

Stay tuned and take care,
Cari
... See MoreSee Less

1 month ago
Vote Cari Ness

... See MoreSee Less

2 years ago
Vote Cari Ness
Dear Friends,

The results are in from the online balloting for the DFL endorsement and sadly are not what we’d hoped. Congratulations to the incumbent, Alice Hausman, on being endorsed for a 17th term. I will abide and end my campaign.

I want to express my deepest gratitude to everyone who supported me, voted for me, and endorsed me - most of all my husband who was THE BEST partner all the way. This was an incredible experience. Our volunteer team engaged with hundreds of people and pushed for a more progressive and inclusive politics in our state. We raised nearly $20,000 and will donate the remaining funds in our campaign account to help flip seats in swing districts. I am very proud of the campaign that we ran. We stayed positive and focused on our shared values and we will be watching and pushing our Reps to be the best possible stewards of our state.

I want to give special thanks to my campaign manager, Faisa A Ahmed, who’s consistency and drive to make me the best candidate I could be never wavered, even when she and her family were struck with Covid-19 themselves.

I am ruminating on the lyric from the Semisonic song, “Closing Time” today that says “every new beginning comes from some other beginnings end.” While this may be the end of this campaign, I am looking forward to what the next beginning will be. I’ll keep you posted.

In this incredibly difficult year for so many, I wish you all love, comfort, and good health.

With sincere gratitude,
Cari

Dear Friends,

I am ruminating on the lyric from the Semisonic song, “Closing Time” today that says “every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end.” While this may be the end of this campaign, I am looking forward to what the next beginning will be. I’ll keep you posted.

With sincere gratitude,
Cari
... See MoreSee Less

Comment on Facebook

I think you ran an excellent campaign. I hope you will stay engaged and involved as the future unfolds.

This makes me undeniably sad... Please please don't let this be your last time going for this seat.. We NEED you.

Thank you for answering the call to get involved in representative government, it's the only way we affect change. I enjoyed seeing you experience this process and was very hopeful you would be elected.We need strong people to run our institutions, you no doubt will be one of those people.

I am genuinely bummed about that result, and yet so very glad that you ran and also proud of the effort of you and your staff towards doing better for the world. Thank you!!

I am SO PROUD of you. You ran such a great campaign and did all the things right!

I am so sorry. I was ready to see you lead.

It was a great effort and you should be proud. Better luck next time!

I’m sorry to hear about this Cari. I know that this is not the last. Chin up!! All of your friends are very proud of the campaign!! ❤️😘😷

Thank you for running, Cari! And please run again. Sending hugs today.

Thank you Cari for stepping forward! We loved meeting you and wish you the best in the future 🙂

Congratulations and kudos to YoU as you ran a terrific campaign! I hope this won't be your last...❤

I thoroughly enjoyed following your campaign and am very proud of your efforts.

I hope you'll try again in two years! Just let me know and I'll do whatever I can to help 😁

Wherever your path leads you, you will do great things.

Don't think this is over either. Try again. Please.

You my friend are Awesome 💗

I am sad about losing the progressive policies that would have been. Like everyone said, you ran a great campaign. COVID made it impossible to do the face to face campaigning that I believe would have made a difference. Please run again!

I am so impressed with all of your drive and passion. You are a rising voice in the political arena and this is not an end at all.

Thanks for stepping up! did they ever give you the numbers on the endorsement?

Sorry to hear my dear! What ever you choose to do we are here to support you!!

You'll only get better and better. Great first effort!

Well done! Still a future for you in this. Hope you run again.

And way to go, Faisa!! Thank you for helping Cari!

View more comments

2 years ago
Vote Cari Ness
The DFL online balloting period ends tonight at midnight. If you haven’t yet submitted your ballot, get in there soon! To everyone who did vote, thank you so much for sticking with this new process despite a few hiccups along the way. No matter the final outcome, I want to give a very heartfelt thank you to all of you who took the time to attend caucuses and work through the process of being a delegate.  And I especially want to thank the DFL volunteers and staff who worked incredibly hard to ensure this was a fair process. You are the unsung heroes of our democracy.

The DFL online balloting period ends tonight at midnight. If you haven’t yet submitted your ballot, get in there soon! To everyone who did vote, thank you so much for sticking with this new process despite a few hiccups along the way. No matter the final outcome, I want to give a very heartfelt thank you to all of you who took the time to attend caucuses and work through the process of being a delegate. And I especially want to thank the DFL volunteers and staff who worked incredibly hard to ensure this was a fair process. You are the unsung heroes of our democracy. ... See MoreSee Less

Comment on Facebook

Good luck!

Rooting for you!!!!

2 years ago
Vote Cari Ness

“Cari is the bright new energy we need down at the Capital. Her breadth of knowledge and ability to bring people in is the new kind of politics needed in this different day.” Amy Allen Gooder, St. Paul ... See MoreSee Less

2 years ago
Vote Cari Ness

I support the Governor and his administration and know the decisions to keep Minnesotans safe are firmly rooted in science. Stay safe, friends! #stayhomeMNToday Governor Tim Walz announced the extension of the Stay at Home Order until May 18. We know this is hard – but it’s working. In the last few weeks, we have made a testing breakthrough, built out hospital capacity, and slowed the spread. You made this possible. Thank you.

Minnesotans look out for each other - and we need you to continue protecting your neighbors. We must continue to stay home other than essential trips, social distance, and wear cloth masks while in public so we can carefully turn the dial toward reopening society.
... See MoreSee Less